Saturday, April 10, 2010

KWL

"K-Know": I come to this class with not a whole lot of prior knowledge with regards to portfolios. The one thing I know about portfolios or have some experience with has to do with a modeling portfolio. I did some modeling a few years ago for a short period of time and had to get a portfolio created in order to get modeling jobs. My portfolio was not very extensive and entailed only about three different photo shot pictures. My husband and I also have a financial planner and I know we have an investment portfolio through him but it is sad to say that I could not tell you exactly what that portfolio holds. I know we have our money invested in different areas of the market and most of it is in conservative markets while a small share of our funds are in moderate to aggressive markets.

"W-Want"": There are several things I want to know about in regards to portfolios. I want to know what a "good" portfolio entails/looks like for a teacher. I would also like to learn what a teacher/educator should include in their portfolio and what is okay to exclude or leave out from your portfolio or should you try and include as much as possible. I want to also know if there comes a point when too much information had been added to a portfolio and at that point can the portfolio be considered less effective.

"L-Learned": From the information presented in the lesson and the readings for the week, I learned that an education portfolio is much more extensive than I originally thought it would be. I would have never thought about including photos of my class in action to represent the lessons that are actually included as part of my portfolio. I did learn that keeping it simple is important and that overloading your portfolio with lengthy page after page could cause your portfolio to loose its overall effectiveness. I also learned that it is very important to review your portfolio at least twice a year in order to keep it update and relevant in regards to your teaching experiences.

1 comment:

  1. With regards to the "W" in KWL, I have learned this week some additional things about what make a good quality portfolio. I learned that having a neat and well put together final portfolio can be almost if not as important as the actual contents of the portfolio. I learned that it may be a good idea to even have your final portfolio bound in some way. I also learned that there is a point when too much information can be added to a portfolio and thus cause the portfolio itself to loose some or possible all of it value. Finally, I leaned that I am going to pay much more attention to the lessons I create for my students and think about if the lesson is one I should potential include as part of my portfolio.

    ReplyDelete